Monday, April 8, 2013

Teach Your Kids to Read - Because You Can

     Even now I can hardly believe that I taught my 4 year old to read! Almost every day over last summer we spent about 15 or 20 minutes on reading, following the lessons in "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons" by Siegfried Engelmann. I think I've mentioned this book before, I really love it and will be using it for all my kids.

 
     The lessons really are easy, and take the worry out of it for the mom (or who ever is teaching). You have everything you need to say right there, almost like a script. But it's not long before you and your child go through it all like a pro.

     There were certainly days where we were not working well together. He wanted to play and I was using way to much energy forcing him to do it. Part of the problem was the writing required at the end of the lesson. Doing both reading and writing together was just too long, especially when some reading lessons went longer than others. So we split it up. He did not like the writing at all, so we did it in the morning, when we were both fresh and happiest. Then reading in the evening.

     Oh, and there were days when I felt completely frustrated and like I wasn't doing it right,...That's when a good support person comes in handy. My husband was kind enough to remind me that our little boy was reading more than he was before, so I must have been doing something right. Then there were days where I was completely amazed at how far we had come, and I couldn't believe that this little, wonderful, smart boy was reading stories to me!

     When we finished the lessons I confess that I didn't keep up with a reading routine like I should have. I blamed it on having a baby. :) But I'm starting to get back into it, trying to find what will work for us. A cute blog that I like just posted this today - 50 Ways To Teach Your Child To Read. It was a good reminder to me that it really doesn't take much to encourage reading and learning. I look forward to going through the whole learning process again with my E. She already knows her letters and the sounds they make, just a little more practice to cement it into her cute little head.

No comments: