Sunday, January 13, 2013

Inspiration for 2013

Oh man do I have a list of goals! It's huge! I will surely reach perfection this year and you will all be jealous. ... Please laugh with me right now because I am obviously trying to be funny. :) I always have a huge list of ways I can improve myself and my family's life. Working on them is slow going (and occasionally overwhelming) but there's nothing like a new year to bring renewed enthusiasm to the process!

I have also been coming across the writings of others that have been inspiring and I thought I would share.

First, this talk by Elder James E. Faust, The Power to Change. I may have shared this before, but it's worth repeating, it often comes to my mind when I suddenly feel like a whole day has been ruined because of mine or others actions. We really can have a new beginning every minute! Here's a quote in case you don't want to read the whole thing right now -

"Each new day that dawns can be a new day for us to begin to change. We can change our environment. We can change our lives by substituting new habits for old. We can mold our character and future by purer thoughts and nobler actions. As someone once put it, “The possibility of change is always there, with its hidden promise of peace, happiness, and a better way of life.”"

Have you heard of having one word for the year? One word to remind you of your goals and hopes for the year? I'm new to this concept but I like it! I have a word in mind for my purposes but for now you can look in on Coco's word - "Avodah". It encapsulates allot of my own feelings and desires, wish I could copy-cat! But I won't.

"Avodah is a Hebrew word used in the Bible whose root has three distinct yet intertwined meanings: work, worship, and service."

Here's a little video that I remember watching last year and was happy to find again. I do need the reminder to not look back on my failures or less-than-shining moments, it only holds me down.



And for those days when I feel so far from the mark I am sure I will find this post very helpful.

""And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

So if this life is our Proving Grounds, and the Lord is our engineer, then we are simply in a process of becoming, we are in the hands of the Master.  This life is an intimate process where we are working with the Lord to find our weaknesses and make them strengths, and become perfected in Him."

This new year is going to be fantastic! The Lord has already blessed me so much in books, articles, and advice shared by others, that have helped me to feel more confident in my abilities to accomplish all that He has planned for me. I am excited to put my shoulder to the wheel and go forward in faith! I hope these few resources can help you reach your goals for 2013!  




2 comments:

K.E.N said...

work, worship, service...I might have to make something for the wall that has those words on it.

Val said...

Great post Jamie. I showed your blog to Angela last night, so now she can read it too.
Love you.
Mom